Monthly Archives October 2015
If you haven’t heard of “workamping,” it’s an increasingly popular lifestyle where you work while living full time out of your camper. This can be done with any type of RV but if you want luxuries such as an actual fireplace, try a Catalina RV or similar style fifth wheel. To learn more about this lifestyle and becoming a “workamper,” read on.
- Ask yourself the right questions. It’s important to know whether the workamping lifestyle is right for you. It might seem obvious but you need to ask yourself if you like RVing enough to do it full time. If you are married or have a domestic partner, will you be okay living in close quarters with that person? If you’ve never gone RVing before, rent an RV for a while before making the leap to full timing.
- Do your homework. Full time RVing requires several considerations such as working out how you’ll get your mail, how medical insurance and doctor’s visits will work and if there are even jobs available for workampers with your particular background and experience. Figure out these considerations before you hit the road.
- Consider your finances. While some professions such as those in the healthcare industry can be done on an itinerant basis, keep in mind many traditional workamping jobs such as camp host or retail store clerks don’t pay career level incomes. Some workamping arrangements pay for your campsite while others do not. Take your financial situation into consideration and decide if part time wages will adequately cover your expenses.
- Choose a location. When deciding where you want to live and work, consider that workamping jobs are often seasonal, lasting only three to six months. Make sure the location you choose is somewhere you’ll enjoy year round unless you plan on traveling during the “off” season.
- Create your resume and begin your job search. There are plenty of places both online and off to look for workamping jobs. A quick Internet search will reveal online job boards and job listings. However, you can also find job fairs to attend in well known RV destinations such as Quartzite, Arizona.
- Get it in writing. When you do land your first workamping job, make sure your are clear on the terms of employment and make sure to get them in writing.
Follow these tips to help get your new workamping lifestyle underway and enjoy your new adventure!Read More